What is LootLocker? #
LootLocker is the indie game backend that unlocks the tools needed for indie developers to build, ship, and run the best games. The following documentation provides a high-level overview of the LootLocker platform, its features, and guides for making the most of the technology.
LootLocker provides out-of-the-box game systems to speed up development, backend services to support player accounts, asset catalogs, microtransactions, and live ops tools to help engage and retain players for longer. LootLocker provides technology that lets you focus on what makes your games unique.
LootLocker is built on AWS’s scalable infrastructure that provides a worldwide, secure, and reliable service to developers and their players.
LootLocker supports all types of games regardless of genre, scope, engine, or platform. If you’re not sure if LootLocker is the right service for your game, please reach out to us so we can understand your needs better!
To get started with LootLocker, sign up for a free LootLocker account at my.lootlocker.io
LootLocker provides the following services, features, and support:
Game Systems #
Game Systems save you precious development time by providing pre-made common game systems and features ready to be connected to your game.
- Achievements - Easily add Achievements to your game and connect them to certain First Party platforms.
- Character Classes - Character Classes are used to define different types of player characters in your game and what assets they have by default.
- Collectables - Collectables are used to automatically reward players for collecting something in your game.
- Crafting - Crafting manages the relationships between assets that can be combined to create different assets.
- Leaderboards - Create permanent, or time-limited competitions with rewards and connect them to LootLocker features or other game values.
- Missions - Missions are complex structures that allow you to create and manage quests, races, or other types of player tasks based on objectives or conditions.
- Levels (Progression) - The Progression feature is used to create an XP or player progression system in your game.
- Triggers - Triggers are used to automatically reward players upon triggering something within your game.
Backend Services #
Backend Services lets you transform your game into a service and more easily support cross-platform player accounts, in-game economies, and more.
- Asset Manager - The Asset Manager is used to create and manage assets used in your game.
- Player Manager - The Player Manager is used to search, view, and audit players of your game.
- Gifting - Gifting gives you the ability to manually gift players an Asset through the Player Manager interface.
- Refunds - Issue Refunds to players who have purchased the wrong Asset through the Player Manager interface.
- Currencies - Currencies lets you create and manage in-game soft currencies that can be purchased or earned in your game.
- Microtransactions - Allow players to purchase game content with real money.
- Rental Assets - Rental Assets are Assets with added functionality that makes them temporary for defined periods of time.
- Rarity-Based Assets - Rarity-Based Assets lets you reward players with random assets based on a predefined rarity.
- (Coming Soon) Friends & Clans - Allow Players to manage cross-platform Friend lists or create Clans of larger user groups.
Live Ops Tools #
Live Ops Tools help you keep your players engaged with your game for as long as possible.
- DLC - Create unlockable DLC by grouping Assets and connecting them to DLC systems on First Party platforms.
- Messages - Messages are used to send public messages to some or all of your players.
- Reports - Reports based on certain player or asset criteria can be created and downloaded.
- Player Segments - Player Segments are used to create groups of players based on certain criteria. These groups can be gifted Assets or used by other LootLocker features.
- (Coming Soon) Promotion Scheduler - Promotion Schedules lets you plan and automate temporary changes to specific assets based on a calendar.
- (Coming Soon) Custom Game Config - Custom Game Config allows you to upload and remotely distribute game config files to change specific parameters in your game.
Management Console #
The LootLocker Management Console is a web-based dashboard that provides you with access to everything you need to manage your games. You can access the Management Console at my.lootlocker.io.
Development Environments #
LootLocker is built to make your life easier. One of the ways LootLocker does this is by making it safe and easy to make changes to your data stored with LootLocker. All changes you make to your LootLocker data are made in a Staging Environment that can be tested with your game client ( see how here) before pushing the changes to a Live Environment where the changes will go live in your game.
LootLocker SDKs are available for most popular game engines. Click the links below to download the engine specific SDK and resources.
LootLocker also offers raw API access, through a RESTful API. You can view API Reference documentation here.
Sample Game & Mobile App #
To more easily understand how LootLocker can be used, we have created a Sample Game that can be accessed through the LootLocker Management Console. The Sample Game comes pre-populated with Assets, and set up with various LootLocker features. You can access the Sample Game by selecting Create New Game in the Game Selector in the Top Bar of the Management Console, or by following the Quickstart Guide.
To compliment the Sample Game, we have also created a mobile app which can be downloaded from the iOS App Store and Google Play Store. The mobile app connects to your Sample Game and lets you see how Assets and features are used from the player’s perspective. The Sample Game is yours to edit and configure as you wish, and all changes will be visible in the mobile app. It is also possible to download the source code of the mobile app, to see how we integrated LootLocker.
Learn more about the LootLocker mobile app.
LootLocker is compliant with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and provides its users with the necessary tools to view, manage, and delete player data.
We want to make sure you have everything you need to build the best game possible and have compiled the following resources:
- Documentation - Dive deep into LootLocker’s features, guides, and best practices.
- Sample Game - See an example of a game on LootLocker to understand how different features are used.
- Mobile App - Download the mobile app and connect it to your Sample Game to see LootLocker in action from a player’s perspective and an example of how LootLocker can be integrated into a game.
- Discord - Chat with other LootLocker users or directly with LootLocker developers.
- (Coming Soon) Support Tickets - Submit a ticket to receive direct support.
- Real-Time Status - View the current and historical status of the platform.